Latoya Johnston Flooring November 26th, 2018 - 06:35:27
I make it over my nephew's room and I wanted to reflect his passion for music. His carpet was a boring builder grade beige and it was stained and worn, so I decided to get rid of it. I remove the carpet pulling it up and cutting it into manageable pieces using a utility knife when the carpet was removed. I cut the padding underneath and pulled that up to along the edge of all flooring. There are these, things are called tax strips and that's what holds the carpet in place? I remove those using a crowbar and a hammer and a little muscle after the floor was vacuumed.
I began to cut pieces of sheet music apart and I just used a utility knife slicing right down the spine to glue the music to the floor. I mix four parts white glue to one part border and shook it. Well. I pour the glue into a paint pan and then using a small foam brush. I roll the glue onto the floor. I place the music on top of the wet glue and then rolled more glue on top of the music. I use a small paintbrush to get under the baseboard anytime I needed to I buried the design of the music with one sheep facing horizontally and then the next vertical. The music was a culmination of my nephew's primer, music tunes.
He played a band and then to sheet music that was bought at an estate sale. I completed the floor using small sheets of music that he played in marching band. After allowing the floor to dry for 24 hours, I plied one coat of polyurethane. That's made for floors when that coat dried. I applied a second coat once the flora was completely dry. There were spots of polyurethane that seeped underneath the music, but I kind of liked the patina it added to the floor, especially on the vintage sheet music. Now, when you enter his bedroom, you can see how music is at the center of his life.